The Warren Band & Color Guard proudly supports, honors and encouarges the six pillars of Character: Caring, Trustworthiness, Respect, Citizenship, Responsiblity, Fairness.
Within those traits we emphasize specific traits:
Dedication, passion, commitment,integrity, upholding our rules/procedures, loyalty, cooperation, self discipline, dependable, do what you say, good sportsmanship.
Annual Lock In
Friday August 17th is our annual lock in. This will be the last lock in...it will not exist in the future. We will replace it with a new and exciting new tradition. Although the lock in is not mandatory, it is a great night of team building and is great if we can have all students present.
1. Wear tennis shoes and appropriate clothes. You will be active throughout the night. I suggest athletic type clothing. Tennis shoes are required to play in the gym.
2. Bring snacks, drinks, etc. Please bring your drinks in bottles rather than can
3. Shower before you come to this event!
3. Come to have a great time and participate. We do not sleep at the lock in and it is most fun when all students participate in every activity.
4. Arrive at 9pm! Lock in ends at 6am saturday morning.
1. We need some chaperones. If you can stay up all night or part of the night we would love your help.
2. Please drop off and pick up your child in the back parking lot off of Gurley, not the front parking lot off of paramount.
3. This is a safe and fun evening for students in band and color guard. Please consider allowing your child to participate.
Fall Trip Updates
This Fall the Marching Band and Color Guard is planning to embark on a 3 day, 2 night trip to Santa Clarita. This will be the third year in a row that we have taken this trip. As we prepare for this exciting endeavor it is important to make sure we communicate some imoprtant details.
1. Trip Dates are November 8,9,10 (we depart at the end of school Thursday November 8th and return late on Saturday November 10th)
2. We will be participating in 2 marching band competitions during this trip. Becuase of this we need all marching band and color guard students to be part of this trip. If there are concerns we request that they be addressed no later than the end of August with Mr. Niemeyer.
3. We will be offering several fundraisers for students to raise money to cover the cost of the trip.
4. Chaperones volunteered for this trip at the July booster/parent meeting. If there are any more parents interested, please talk with Mr. Niemeyer by the end of August.
5. ALL other updates are avialabe on the members only page. This is a password protected page. Students know the password, so ask your child. If no, email Mr. NIemeyer or Mrs. White and we can help you.
****Trip Info Packets will be coming home with studetns no later than Friday August 24th, please keep an eye out and ask your child if they have received the packet****
Saturday August 18th ~ 6pm @ Cheryl/Ruben's Casa
5909 Leeds St. South Gate 90280
Several times a year we host parent mixers/get togethers so parents can enjoy time with other band and guard parents. It is also fun to get to know each other better and celebrate all of our hard work as well. For more info please talk with Cheryl. There is no dress code or cost. Consider brining something to share...like a favorite drink or finger food. We hang out, talk and even karaoke. We hope to see as many parents as possible. (please no students, adults only)
Football Game Performances
The marching band & color guard perform at all home football games!
As we begin a new school year, we will also begin performing right away! There are 6 football games this Fall...5 home games and 1 away game at Downey HS. All marching band and color guard members perform at all games. This is a mandatory part of their experience as a member of the the marching band. All game dates and times can be found on the calendar. We also encouarge parents to come out and volunteer at games. We have space for appx. 10 parent volunteers at each game. Volunteers get in for free but are asked to help out the entire game with activities such as: preparing the bleachers, cleaning and perpareing water bottles, hydrating students, keeping the area we sit in secure, helping at halftime pushing pit equipment/props and helping during 3rd quarter serving a snack to the students. If you are interested please reach out to Mrs. White. firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer positions are not on charms calendar. If you are not one of the 10 volunteers we still encouarge you to attend games to support our athletics and of course the band and color guard. The cost to get into games is appx. $7 per person.
FIRST GAME! Friday August 24th vs. St. Anthony
SECOND GAME! Friday August 31st vs. Huntington Park
Call Time: 5:00pm - all students arrive in half uniform and prepare for the game
Warm Up 5:30pm - all students warm up
Pregame 6:30pm - marching band performs before the game. (Fight Song, National Anthem, etc.)
Game Start 7:00pm - students sit in stands and play pep tune
Half Time Performance 8:00pm - band and color guard performs their competition show. (half time can be earlier or later than 8pm)
End of Game 9:00pm - students are dismissed to go home. (games can end earlier or later than 9pm)
August Booster Parent Meeting
Tuesday August 28th @ 7pm in band room!
The August booster meeting will be the 2nd meeting of the school year. Meetings are open to all current band and color guard parents. Topics covered include Finacial Reports, Fundraising Reports, Upcoming Events, Etc. We are only successful if our parents are involved. Get involved with your childs band and guard experience!
5 tips for parents of band and color guard students!
Whether you are a new or returning parent, it is always good to get a fresh perspective from other parents...especially those involved in other programs. These perspectives and insights can help parents better understand what this activity is all about and most importantly how to support their child through it. Rather than hearing from the band director or your son/daughter...take advice from a peer...parents who has been there done that. Take a minute to download and read the article below. These tips might even shed light on parts of being a band parent that you hadn't thought of.
Physical Exam Reminder!
All students participating in marching band/color guard are required to complete a physical exam every year. Here are the rules
1. Physical exams must be completed between July 1st and July 22nd. We need them completed before SPA 2 on July 23rd. Only physicals taken after July 1st will be accepted!
2. Every student in marching band/ color guard must take a physical every year. Physicals recently conducted will not be accpeted unless they were done after July 1st 2018.
3. Once you complete the physical exam, turn in your physical to Mr. Niemeyer or Mrs. White.
4. Go to the website: www.athleticclearance.com and complete the online process.
Decal Drive! August 13,14,15 5-8pm
The WHS band and color gaurd has been committted to the annual decal drive for over 20 years. This campaign happens every year as the Fall semester begins. We will need every student and at least one of their parents, relatives or adult representative involved to help make this a success.
Committe Chairs: Sandy Bram
*The buyout does not excuse students from participating, only the parent. All students must participate
What do students do?
1. Go out in to the community ALL 3 nights with their group wearing their band uniform or guard warm ups!
2. Go door to door collecting donations and handing out decals.
3. All students must carry their student IDs.
8th Annual Warren Field Tournament October 6th
Committee Chairs: Mercy White email@example.com
Buyout: $150 due October 1st
2018 marks the 8th consecutive year the Warren HS band boosters will host a marching band tournament. This is an amazing day full of much excitement and yes, hard work. We need every parent and student on board to make this an amazing day for all the participating schools. There will be upcoming meetings in August and September to help prepare parents for all the work we will take on to ensure the success of this event. Most parents will help by volunteering their time and labor in many areas which include: concessions, security, parking, ticket sales, hospitality room, campus cleanliness and of course set up and tear down.
What do students do?
1. Collect $50 in ads/sponsor donations that will be printed in our tournament program. Deadline to turn in ads is September 15th. Ad packets were passed out at the July 31st booster meeting and on August 1st to all students during SPA.
2. Help set up morning of event and help clean up after the event.
3. Perform in exhibition (yes we perform, but we do not compete)
4. Donate 1 conession item (a letter will come home in September identfying what each student will be asked to donate)
Concessions: set a menu, obtain all items to be sold, run the concession stand. (TBD)
Logistics: bus and spectator parking, school hosts, lanyards (Ricardo Romero)
Security: all things that deal with keeping patrons safe (Juan Aguilar)
Facilities: all things that deal with keeping our campus clean (TBD)
Hospitality: food for judges and participating school staff (TBD)
Finance: ticket sales (TBD)
Volunteers: coordinating volunteers for the day (TBD)
Marketing: program design/sales, awards/trophies (TBD)