Games Day Cancelled. We will look to reschedule in near future
On Saturday 9/14 we asked the students who was planning on attending games day. There was only about 40 of the 160 students who said they were going to attend. For games day to realize its amazing effet, we need at least 80-90% of our students in attendance. So we postponed games day. We will gather insight on a day that would better fit everyone's schedule and schedule it then. Stay tuned.
VAPA Week at Warren (9/16-9/20)
In effort to bring awareness to all the amazing things going on at Waren in the VAPA department we are trying a new idea called VAPA week. All week during both lunches there will be performances and information table about our programs. The week will culminate on Friday at the football game with a VAPA cafe shirt and multiple vapa groups involved performing.
All home football games and marching band competitions are now available on cuttime for parents to sign up. Generally volunteers get in for free at games and competitions. However, there are times when it will not be possible to get all parents in for free.
Football Games ~ 5 events upcoming
Competitions ~ 5 events upcoming
FALL TRIP CANCELLED ~ there is a bright side!
In August a letter was sent home stating the current financial status of our program. Attached to that letter was a financial statement for all families. Since then there has been a very positive response and many great strides by students/families. However, we are currently still in a position where we need to make tough fiscal decisions. At this time the decision has to be made to cancel the Fall trip due to the fact that we do not believe we will be able to financially pull it together. We will contact all families who made a payment to discuss what the options for redirecting their funds or refunding their funds.
With that said, we are still have work to do and are trying and seeking many fundraiser idea's that can help us get out the current situation we are in. Many students have sold chocolate bars and pretzel rods...great job! Other ideas include a yard sale next weekend 9/21; Car Washes; Christmas Tree sales; Krispy Kreme Donut Sales; etc.
The bright side of all of this is
1. We are going to pull together to solve this financial issue. We are going to support one another and make sure the rest of our school year goes as planned
2. There are still 2 overnight trips planned for this year. Winter guard is scheduled to take a trip to Las Vegas and all bands are scheduled to make a trip to San Francisco.
3. This ultimately will save our students/families money. We can focus on
YARD SALE FUNDRAISER - Saturday 9/21 7am-12pm
This coming Saturday we will be hosting yard sale in the front yard of Mr. Niemeyer's house. Students are encouraged to donate items all week or simply drop them off early the morning of the yard sale. profit from yard sale will help close the negative financial gap we are experiencing. All items not sold will be donated that afternoon to good will.
Students and parents are also welcome to come help at the event.
Event location: 8508 Manatee St.
SECOND FOOTBALL GAME ~ Friday September 20th
Here is a typical schedule of a football friday
7:45am - students wear their polo shirts to school all day on Fridays
3-5pm - students go home, eat, change and prepare for game.
5:30pm students arrive in half uniform. Students get their instrument/flag, uniform coat and head to warm up.
5:45pm students warm up behind L building
6:35pm students march into stadium
6:45pm students perform pregame songs, national anthem and fight song
7:00pm kick off (students in stands)
8:00pm students perform their field show during half time
8:15pm students get 3rd quarter off to eat snack and change
9:30pm game ends, students change, clean up and go home
*somtimes games end later than 9:30pm due to injuries, timeouts, etc. during the game. The parking lot will be very busy at the end of the game, but students need to immediately go home after game ends. There will be appx 8-10 parents that accompany the band and color gaurd at home football games, these parents are volunteers and get into the game for free but are there to serve the needs of the students. All other parents will have to pay admission to get in. Admission is typically $10 per person. Parents, siblings, friends, alumni, etc. are not allowed to sit with or amongst the band and color guard during the game.
**Half Uniform = black socks, marching shoes, under attire, bibbers already on...all students have to do is put on their uniform coat or costume. Students with long hair should arrive with their hair properly prepared. Color Guard should have their make up already prepared.
***Reminder - students are not allowed to wear visible jewelry or nail polish in uniform (this includes acrylics). Small stud earings are acceptable so long as they are not shiny/diamond. Studs must not reflect light.
FIRST FIELD COMPETITION ~ Saturday September 28th
The first tournament of the year will be on the campus of West HS in Torrance. This event is called the "South Bay Invitational". Performance time is 6:45pm. A detailed itinerary is below. There will be appx 8 chaperones and 4 trailer drivers assigned to assist the students and director at this event. All other parents, friends, family, alumni are encouraged to attend every competition and sit together and show their bear pride! If you need a Warren tshirt, hoodie, hat, etc. please contact us!
Friendly reminders for those who attend competitions: We expect our parents, students and staff to be professional.
1. Do not bring loud noise making devices such as air horns to these events...they are not acceptable to use.
2. Wear comfortable clothes and wear your Warren swag and be proud to represent our school.
3. Bring cash...it often costs money to park and most competitions cost about $10 cash to get in. There are also lots of goodies for sale at competitions ranging from food and drink to other unique vendors.
4. Make sure you arrive early so you don't get stressed trying to find parking and getting to the stadium on time to watch your child perform. Get there early and enjou all the terrific high school marching bands.
5. Respect everyone by remaining in your seats during performances. Do not talk during performances, but feel free to clap when you see or hear something that inspires you to react. Keep your phone on vibrate or silent. Do not record field shows with your phone or camera. Remember that all students regardless of what school they go to work very hard and deserve our upmost respect.
6. Respect the host school by following their rules, purchasing a program, patronizing their concession stand and most importantly, cleaning up after yourself.
FALL MOVIE NIGHT ~ Monday October 14th
Throughout the year we are going to be hosting movie nights for any and all band and color guard students. The Fall movie night will be hosted in the band room. These are fun and free events.
Monday October 14th 6pm in band room. Movie will be "Corps Bride" and maybe "Beetlejuice"
All students in the marching band/color guard must complete a physical exam between July 1st & July 31st
To complete a physical exam, you can do one of the following:
1. Set up an appointment with your doctor and take the form below with you.
2. Complete the physical exam Monday June 3rd at 11am here at Warren HS. $20 cash only. Bring form with you!
3. Complete at MVP here in Downey located here in Downey by the Krikorian Theatre. Call them to schedule an appointment and the cost is the same - $20.
4. Once you have completed your physical exam you will need to go online and complete the clearance process. Please visit www.athleticclearance.com. It is easy, just register and begin the process.