This past weekend the Warren band & color guard started their 2014 competition season at the South Bay Invitation hosted by West HS in Torrance. After several months of rehearsals and preparations the students and staff were ready to begin performing their 2014 show, "Shogun" in a competitive format. Students were instructed to focus on control and if that was done their day and experiences would be enjoyable and memorable. I'm proud to say that the students took this seriously and their focus helped them perform with confidence which projected confidence, passion and excitement. The performance on Saturday night generated enough reaction for the judges to award the band and color guard many accolades.
Band - 1st Place 4A divison 75.6 (2nd place overall out of all 16 bands)
Percussion - 1st Place 4A division 74.5 (3rd place overall out of all 16 groups)
Color Guard - Sweepstakes 76 (highest score of all 16 competiting units)
Visual Sweepstakes - highest visual score of all competing units
Some of the untangibles that made our first tournament enjoyable and memorable were:
1. Awesome parent support...trailer drivers, prop builders/movers, parent chaperones, field equipment helpers
2. Support from Warren HS admin/staff allowing us to use the athletic gator, not allowing anyone to park in front of our trailers and helping Mr. Niemeyer after injuring himself.
3. Students following rules, preparing themselves thoroughly and keeping a focused/postitive mind and attitude.
4. Wonderful crowd response to impacts of our performance.
5. Standing ovation by one of the competiting bands as we marched off the field.
6. Lots of positive comments by other band directors, judges, spectators, etc.
7. As always our AMAZING parent cheering section - with bear in tow...thank you!
Next event - this Saturday we are hosting a competition at Warren. We need ALL parents and friends on deck to help! See you Saturday.
4th Home Football Game!
Call Time 4:00pm
Release Time 9:30pm
***This is Middle School Band Night and Breast Cancer Awareness Night***
Date: Oct 4th 2014
Adjudicated by SCSBOA
Final info is posted on the Tournament Page. Click the tab above to go to that page.
Field Tournament #2
Warren Field Tournament
Call Time: 3:30pm
Performance Time: 6:45pm
***All students are expected to help clean up after the event and then will be released. Students should be ready to go home by 11pm
Hoodie - $25
Polo Shirt - $25
T-Shirt - $10
Hat - $18
Visor - $15
Beanie - $10
Simply send cash or check to band room to get your gear! Wear your band and color gaurd gear proudly at all events! Swag available as inventory permits.
Items necessary to run the program that we need to replace often.
- 9V batteries
- AA batteries
- AAA batteries
- Bright Colored Paper
(plain white not needed)
- Lamination Pouches (letter size - 3or5mil)
- Toner for Canon Image Class printer/copier #105
- Toner for Brother copier
- Epson 676XL Pro ink black, cyan, magenta, Yellow.
Parents, our next booster club meeting is on Tuesday October 7th at 7pm in the band room.
The Warren band and color guard is part of the visual and performing arts department at Warren High School in Downey California. Earl Warren High School opened it's doors in 1955 becoming the second high school in the Downey Unified School District. Approximately 3,800 students attend WHS in grades 9-12. There are 200 students enrolled in instrumental music classes this school year. The instrumental music department is supported by the West and Griffiths Middle School music programs.
Students have the opportunity to excel in instrumental music at Warren:
Comitted, Dedicated, Passionate, United, Family - We are Warren!
All 2014-15 marching band students sign up now to receive text message updates through remind101.com. Follow the steps below to be added to the list.
Send a text to: 562-222-4787
In body of text write: @2015mbcg
Parents please also join our text reminder system. Follow the steps below to be added to the list.
Send a text to: 562-22-4787
In the body of the text write: @mrniemeyer