Warren Band & Color Guard
8141 De Palma St
Downey, CA 90241
562 869-7306 x5616
*State of the Union Address
Tuesday December 10th
6:30pm WHS Library
Mandatory for all band and guard parents!
***Lots of updates to Spring...see calendar!***
Students are selling cookie dough. The fundraiser starts Monday Nov. 18th and will last two weeks. All money and order forms are due:
No late orders accepted.
Downey Holiday Lane Parade
See more information on the itinerary! This is our final marching band activity for the fall. This parade is mandatory for all students!
State of the Union Address
Topics will include: Winter guard, percussion theatre, fall fundraiser review, remaining fundraiser review, communication, making things fair financially. This meeting is for adults only...no students or children, thank you :-)
Percussion Theatre Auditions
Winter Guard Auditions
Thank you to the following businesses for their support through sponsorship. Their partnership helps the Warren Band Boosters achieve their yearly financial goals which provides crucial financial support for the Warren Band and Color Guard.
Tuesday December 17th
Downey Civic Theatre
You are invited! Our annual winter concert is rapidly approaching and we hope you can make it. Tickets are on sale now! In order to purchase tickets you must do one of the following
1. Go directly to the Theatre Box office and purchase your tickets. The box office is open Tuesday-Friday 11am-5pm.
2. Purchase your tickets online. www.downeytheatre.com There is a fee for purchasing online.
$5 General Admission
$3 for students with ASB card and senior citizens
Day of Concert ~
$10 General Admission
$5 for students with ASB card and senior citizens
Please note the following ~
1. Children 5 and under and military with ID will get in free. We only have 50 of these tickets available, so first come first serve.
2. Students with ASB card and senior citizens must purchase their tickets in person at the box office, those ticket prices are only good when visiting the box office.
Students must be at theatre at 4:30pm for a dress rehearsal!!!
Students - thank you all so very much for another award winning marching band season. The fall of 2013 will be recorded as a very outstanding year of accomplishments in the record books at Warren. Your hard work and dedicated was truly inspiring to be around and part of. Remember - we are...committted, dedicated, passionate, family, united...we are Warren.
Parents - thank you doesn't even begin to express the graditude I and the students have for you all. Thank you first of all for allowing your child to enroll in band and color guard. But thank you most of all for supporting your child through the season by dropping them off, picking them up, making donations of snacks and water and supporting our fundraisers which provide so much support for each students experience.
Check out the performance from championships by clicking here!
As we move from marching band to wind ensemble/concert band we need to ensure that students are properly dressed for concerts and festivals. We pride our selves on a very uniform and professional look whenever we perform. The first time students will wear their concert attire will be at our Winter Concert on Tuesday December 17th. A letter is going home with students regarding how to purchase or aquire these garmets. The same information is below.
Young Men: Black Tuxedo (poly-wool blend or polyester)
Black tuxedo jacket
Black tuxedo pants
White lay-down collar dress shirt.
Black Formal Vest (single-breasted)
Black Neck Tie
Black Dress Shoes
*Young men are required to secure these items on their own. You can either rent or purchase the above items.
Young Ladies: Black formal dress (item 1001PAL from www.rivars.com)
Cost: $90 (includes all pieces and tax/shipping)
Black panel style dress in black matte jersey with side ruched strap in black matte jersey.
Bodice lined. ($70)
Rhinestone Trim Piece ($3)
*Young ladies will purchase these items through the band boosters. Please send cash or check by December 13th. Please make checks payable to Warren Band Boosters
Tuesday December 10th
Warren HS Library
This meeting is mandatory for all parents to attend. (students do not have to attend) At this meeting the summer and fall activities that we completed will be reviewed. We will then look forward to the winter and spring events.
This meeting is being held in place of the December booster meeting. (see calendar for updates)
There is an app called remind 101. I have signed up and am hoping to use it to better communicate with students and families. With remind 101 I can send out important text message updates and reminders. However, you cannot text back.
Marching Band/Color Guard students: send a text to 562-222-4787. In the body of the text write @bandnguard. You will then be signed up to receive all text messages from me regarding all marching band/color guard events and info.
Jazz Band students: send a text to 562-222-4787. In the body of the text write @warrenjazz. You will then be signed up to receive all text messages sent by me regarding all jazz band events, information.
All Parents: send a text to 562-222-4787. In the body of the text write @mrniemeyer. You will then be signed up to receieve all text messages sent by me regarding general information that is pertinent to band and color guard.
Sunday December 8th the WHS band and color guard will march in the Downey Holiday Lane Parde. Below is a flyer/itinerary that explains the details of this event. Here are some key notes.
1. Students must take home their instruments and UNIFORM on Friday Dec. 6th. (except shako)
2. Students must arrive at 11:45am at the check in location with their full uniform already on.
3. Students should bring their duffle bag and uniform bag with them to check in and put it on the trailer.
4. At the end of the parade students will change out of their uniform and put it back on the uniform rack. Students will be responsible for taking their instrument home.
Other Key notes:
1. Students must get a ride to and from the parade or walk.
2. This event is mandatory for all students!
3. Make sure you review the map and know where the drop off and pick up locations are.
At the first booster meeting on September 9th parents were asked to brainstorm some fundraising ideas. So far we have 3 great ideas, but still want to hear your idea! Please email our fundraising chair, Alma if you have an idea. Zapher1@juno.com
Ideas so far...
1. Comedy Night. Parents sell tickets to a comedy show at $10 per ticket. Adults only!
2. Donation Drive for Salvation Army. We host a collection day at Warren HS and fill as many bins as possible and are paid for each bin we fill up.
3. Zumba Class. Ms. Kelly a teacher at Warren has offered to host a Zumba fitness dance class. Admission would be donated to band and color guard.
4. Scrip http://www.shopwithscrip.com/ ongoing fundraiser month after month, year after year families can fundraise year round.
5. Dinner Out. pick local restraunts and every eat out for the night. 20% and up of sales are donated back to band and color guard.
6. Swap Meet Booth. parents donate as many items as possible and we rent a space at the Warren Swap Meet and sell the donated items.
The Warren band and color guard is part of the visual and performing arts department at Warren High School in Downey California. Earl Warren High School opened it's doors in 1955 becoming the second high school in the Downey Unified School District. Approximately 3,800 students attend WHS in grades 9-12. There are 180 students enrolled in instrumental music classes in 2012-2013. The music department is supported by the West and Griffiths Middle School music programs.
Students have the opportunity to excel in instrumental music at Warren: